The Mobilization and Civil Resistance Department is an institution in the National Defence System structure that performs the following:
- contributes to the formation of national mobilization, host nation support and civil resistance policies by the Ministry of National Defence,
- provides administrative oversight of readiness of civil mobilization agencies and economic mobilization entities for mobilization and rendering host nation support,
- oversees implementation of mobilization and demobilization,
- manages contributions of civil mobilization agencies and economic mobilization entities to host nation support objectives,
- ensures organization and coordination of cooperation of institutions and agencies of the National Defence System, state and municipalities and/or of non-governmental organizations in the area of civil resistance and public-patriotic education,
- ensures organization of public safety, readiness and response in the event of emergency situations at the Ministry of National Defence and other bodies of the National Defence System.
A reliable and effective budgetary institution that acts in line with values and principles of the organization as it implements its tasks, and aims its solutions at comprehensive advance in forming a cohesive national mobilization system that meets national security and public interests of the state.
A responsible and professional supervision of preparation of ministerial, municipal institutions and agencies, economic entities and other bodies of the state for mobilization, their contribution in preparation and delivery on host nation support objectives, implementation of mobilization and demobilization; propagation and fostering of the values of national identity awareness, civic spirit, patriotism, liberty and independence and efforts to form a civic position to defend the Motherland in the public
- Responsibility. We take the responsibility for the effect our activity and decisions have on the public, we respect our obligations and work to justify the trust put in us.
- Professionalism. Expertise in our area, unceasing self-improvement, flexibility and expeditiousness.
- Respect. Everyone matters just as they are. We uphold that respect ad mutual understanding is an essential prerequisite of successful cooperation.
- Cooperation. We appreciate the expertise and efforts of our personnel and partners as we work towards shared goals and the best solutions.
- Transparency. We value transparent work, as well as fair and frank treatment of everybody.
- Initiative. Proactive personnel is the force that drives the dynamics of development of an institution.
The Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania passed the Law on Mobilization and Training of Mobilization Reserve in late 1996, thus giving the legal basis for action on mobilization.
The Department of Mobilization and Mobilization Reserve under the Ministry of National Defence was established by Resolution No 975 of 11 September 1997 of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania “On the Establishment of the Department of Mobilization and Mobilization Reserve under the Ministry of National Defence”. By Order No 1670-K of the Minister of National Defence of 23 September 1998, the responsibilities of the head of the department were conferred on Vytautas Lukavičius.
The Mobilization and Civil Resistance Department under the MoD (hereinafter – the Department) is an agency in charge of the organization, coordination and control of readiness for mobilization of ministries, Governmental agencies, municipalities and economy entities, as well as of arrangement of contribution from civilian institutions to host nation support objectives.
The Department has undergone several reorganizations that changed its structure and regulations. (in 1999 , 2003, 2007, 2011). Over the time, it drafted and adopted the Mobilization Programme, the National Task of Mobilization for the Ministries, County Governors and Municipalities, Regulations for Temporary Taking or Property and/or Requisition, lists of definitive job descriptions of public servants responsible for implementation of mobilization, documents of order description of mobilization plan drafting and inspecting, programmes of mobilization training, Concept for the Prospective Legal Regulation of Mobilization and Host Nation Support, the Law on Mobilization and Host Nation Support.
As the Department ensures the implementation of its overall mission, it focuses the main effort on work with the Ministries and municipalities. The activity encompasses approx. 2,000 public servants and municipal employees of Lithuania, and cooperation with European Union and NATO allies is expanded.